New Zealand Golf Clubs
Tips for Visiting Golfers:
New Zealand's rural-based economy requires strict bio-security so it's important for golfers to enter the country with clean spikes and clean clubs. Many of New Zealand Golf Clubs are located in rural areas and it is important for golfers to be aware of the importance of not allowing unwanted disease enter the country. To save time arrive with clean equipment.
- Bring clean shoes. Biosecurity standards are very strict, and if officials find it necessary to clean shoes, the solvents used can be harsh on weatherproof surfaces - if necessary, re-spike your shoes to remove all grass and seeds.
- Soft spikes are preferred on most courses rather than metal. Some New Zealand Golf Clubs will offer service to re-spike shoes.
- Visitors often like to play with a local member and this can be arranged at most New Zealand Golf Clubs but it will be necessary to give a few days notice.
- Electric carts and trundlers are available for hire at most New Zealand Golf Clubs, and carry bags can be used for all courses.
- All the larger New Zealand Golf Clubs have golf shops where you can purchase most brands of equipment. Balls and gloves are available at most of the small courses. Prices may vary, and it's advisable bringing at least an initial supply of golf balls.
- Sometimes you will find New Zealand Golf Clubs unattended, and it is expected that you pay your green fees to an "Honesty Box". You will find instructions and drop box facilities, so make sure you have available cash.
- Bring wet weather gear. New Zealand offers a wide climate range. The North Island is semi-tropical and the South Island enjoys a temperate climate. Golf in New Zealand is played all year round. It may be useful to pack light rainwear.
- Many city and country New Zealand Golf Clubs are membership based and welcome visitors. It is advisable to try and check with the Club for tee times.
- Measurements are in metres, not yards. Most New Zealand Golf Clubs have distance markers on the fairways to assist you in calculating distances to the green.
- All courses undergo regular maintenance to keep courses in top condition. To optimize your experience, it pays to ask ahead about coring of greens etc.
Discover more about the services provided by Golfstays and the diverse range of over 400 New Zealand golf clubs.